"Madam, It becomes my duty forward to you the painful intelligence of the death of your son..."

Camp Michigan, Va
January 28, 1862

It becomes my duty forward to you the painful intelligence of the death of your son, John F. Morse, a member of my company.  He died in the Regimental Hospital at daylight Friday morning, January 24th of Typhoid Fever after an illness of but nine days.  We buried him Sunday morning at 10 o’clock on an eminence in front of our camp.  His brotherinlaw Charles S Bean of the 22nd Mass was present at the funeral, and will write you the particulars of his sickness, and the circumstances attending his last hours.
Your affliction is a heavy one, but it will be somewhat of a consolation to know that his whole company share with you, your grief, and while you have lost a son, they have lost a comrade, noble, generous, and loved-one whose place now made vacant will not be easily filled, he whose kind deeds, and cheerful prompt discharge of every duty assigned him, has left an example well worthy the emulation of every one.
His effects were put into the hands of Mr. Bean to be forwarded to you, except the money enclosed, and a purse containing his odd change, which I also forwarded by mail.  I send you also three letters that came to late for him to read, thinking perhaps the writers might wish them returned. 
There is of the money $25.00 in Treasury Notes
            $1.00 not supposed to be good
Sympathizing, warmly with you in this your great sorrow

I am very respectfully,
Wm Humphrey
Capt. Co. B. 2d Regt Mich. Vol.

To Mrs. M.J. Adams
Fitzwilliam, N.H.

William Humphrey eventually rose to the rank of Brevet Brigadier General and led a Ninth Corps brigade through the Overland Campaign of 1864 and at Petersburg before mustering out.  He was wounded at Spotsylvania, VA on May 12, 1864.  He also led his brigade in the attack on "The Crater" after the explosion of the mine on July 30, 1864.

John T. Morse was from Lenawee County, Michigan and enlisted in April 1861 as one of the first respondents to the President's call to arms after the firing on Fort Sumter.  As shown above, he died on January 24, 1862 of Typhoid Fever, the deadly reaper of so many Civil War soldiers during that difficult winter.  He was only twenty years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Follow by Email