A collection of Civil War soldiers...remembered.

Believed to be Thomas Orr of Indiana based on the information on the reverse.  There are two gentlemen named Thomas Orr that this could fit, one served in the 57th Indiana and the other in the 10th Indiana.  The back-mark is Shoemaker of Warsaw, Indiana. 

2nd Lieutenant John J. Hight, Company "B" 49th Pennsylvania. Hight was born in 1844 and grew up in Centre County, Pennsylvania. He enlisted on August 30, 1861 as a private in Company "B" of the 49th PA Infantry. He was promoted to Corporal on July 2, 1862 and Sergeant on May 4, 1863. The 49th PA was part of the 6th Corps and was present at nearly every battle of the war up to this point, but very lightly engaged. On March 7, 1864 Hight was selected as the regimental color bearer. The unit's luck with keeping out of the thick of things ran out on May 10, 1864 at Spotsylvania. The regiment was part of Colonel Emory Upton's famous charge against the west leg of the Mule Shoe salient. Hight was slightly wounded, but came off the field with the colors intact. The regiment was engaged again over the next several days as well. By the time Spotsylvania was over, the 49th PA had lost 296 of the 470 men it took into action at the start of the Overland Campaign. Adding that to the 44 men they lost at the Wilderness, there were only 130 men left. They next fought at Cold Harbor and lost 28 more men with Hight still carrying the colors. The 49th PA was one of the regiment ordered to the relief of Washington during Early's '64 Valley Campaign and was next engaged at Third Winchester, losing 22 more men. The skeleton of the regiment then returned to Petersburg where Sgt. John Hight relinquished the colors for some should straps. He was promoted to Second Lieutenant of Company B on October 19, 1864 and served in this capacity through the rest of the war, finally mustering out on July 15, 1865 at Hall's Hill, Virginia. He returned to Central Pennsylvania and lived until 1901. He is buried at Riverview Cemetery, Huntingdon, PA.

Andrew Boyd Hutchinson was born in Centre County, PA in 1838.  He enlisted on August 31, 1861 in Company G of the 49th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry as a first lieutenant.  On October 26, 1862 he was promoted to Captain of Company B.  He participated in all the regiment's travails until the end of his three year enlistment.  He was mustered out of Federal service on December 19, 1864.  After the war he moved west and he died on May 13, 1889 relatively young.  He is buried at Waverly Cemetery in Waverly, Kansas.

Unknown Private from Beavertown, PA
Unknown Officer from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania... There is a signature on the back but it's illegible

Unknown soldier from Duncannon, Pennsylvania

Captain Daniel D. Jones - Daniel D. Jones was born in 1837 and enlisted in the 88th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry on September 10, 1861 as the Regimental Quartermaster.  He was then promoted to the position of Assistant Quartermaster of U.S. Volunteers on July 17, 1862 and to Captain on August 9, 1862.  He served in that capacity until his resignation on March 2, 1864.  He lived until 1886 and is buried at Fairview Cemetery, Slatington, Lehigh County, PA.
Bvt. Major General George Sears Greene - Greene was born in Rhode Island in 1801 and his family was rooted in military history, notably Nathaniel Greene from the Revolution. George attended West Point graduating in the middle of his class in 1823. Greene taught as an assistant professor at West Point and then married Mary Vinton. The couple had three children together and George lost all of them and his wife to Tuberculosis. He then left the army and then started a career as a civil engineer. He designed the Croton aqueducts and also the aqueduct's reservoir in Central Park, New York City. He also worked on a number of railroad projects, which is where he met his second wife Martha Dana. They would end up having six children.
At the outbreak of the Civil War Greene was commissioned as Colonel of the 60th New York Volunteer Infantry. He did not remain in that position long, being promoted to Brigadier General in April of 1862. He led a brigade at Cedar Mountain and then a division at Antietam, where he made one of the most successful counterattacks of the battle for the Army of the Potomac. He went back to brigade command for Chancellorsville and Gettysburg, for which he and his men played very important roles and suffered significant casualties. At Wauhatchie in late 1863 Greene was severely wounded in the face. His recovery was slow, but he eventually returned to brigade command at the end of the war and was in the fight once more at Kinston (Wyse Fork) North Carolina in March of 1865.
One of Greene's sons, Samuel, was second in command on the Monitor at Hampton Roads in '62. Another son, Charles, was on his staff and was severely wounded at Wauhatchie, suffering the loss of a leg. Another son, Francis, became a Brigadier General during the Spanish-American War.
Greene lived a long successful life in a number of prestigious capacities until his death in 1899. His monument at Gettysburg forever points towards the advancing waves of Confederates from the top of Culps Hill.

William McIlwaine was born in 1836 near Pittsburgh, PA.  He was a member of the 13th PA Militia and at the outbreak of the Civil War enlisted with Company A, 13th PA Infantry as a Second Lieutenant.  The regiment was enlisted for three months from April 25 to August 6, 1861.  After being mustered out, McIlwaine helped to raise Company F of the 102nd PA Volunteer Infantry for which he was commissioned captain on August 15, 1861.  The regiment saw heavy action at Williamsburg, Fair Oaks, Malvern Hill,and Salem Church during the Chancellorville Campaign.  On September 2, 1863 McIlwaine was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel of the 102nd PA.  He served in this capacity through the Overland Campaign in which the 102nd was devastated, losing 161 men at the Wilderness and 38 at Spotsylvania.  On June 3, 1864 the 102nd was in the front line of the charge against the Confederate works at Cold Harbor.  Lt. Colonel McIlwaine was at the front leading his men forward when he went down with a severe wound.  He would not recover and passed away on June 6, 1864.  He is buried at Allegheny Cemetery in Pittsburgh, PA.

John D. Conley was born on March 19, 1829 in the state of Maine.  Just before the war he was living in Bangor, ME and a bachelor.  On August 14, 1862 he enlisted at the age of 33 years as a 1st Sergeant in Company H of the 16th Maine Volunteer Infantry.  The company's commissioned officers were on detached service so he became the company commander.  Because of his talents he was promoted to Second Lieutenant, dating from December 13, 1862 when he led Company H into battle at Fredericksburg.  The regiment lost 225 of the 417 men it took into action in the attack against Prospect Hill.  The regiment was loosely involved at Chancellorsville and afterwards Conley was promoted to Captain of Company H.  At Gettysburg the regiment fought on July 1 on Oak Ridge and were asked to perform the rearguard action as the rest of their 1st Corps comrades escaped back towards the town and Cemetery Hill beyond.  Conley was one of four officers in the regiment to escape after making his way through the east railroad cut, where the men cut the flag from its staff to keep it out of the hands of the enemy.  The regiment had 275 officers and men present for duty at Gettysburg and after the trial of July 1, only 4 officers and 38 men had made it back to Cemetery Hill, Conley as one of them.  He would continue to serve with the regiment until August 18, 1864 when he was captured at the battle of Weldon Railroad near Petersburg.  He was confined at Libby Prison in Richmond until April 15, 1865 when he was finally released with many others.  He served out his term of enlistment, mustering out with his men on June 5, 1865.  Little is known about his post war life, but he did return to Maine and he died on March 1, 1881.  He is buried at Hillside-Norris Cemetery, Damariscotta, Lincoln County, Maine.

James Young Chesrown - Born in 1835 in Washington County, Chesrown enlisted with the Ringgold Cavalry on October 13, 1862 as a 1st Lieutenant.  On April 1, 1863 he was promoted to Captain of Company E.  The regiment served most of their time in West Virginia, Maryland and the Shenandoah Valley.  Chesrown served until March 18, 1865, being discharged just a few weeks before the end of the war.  After the conflict he became very deeply involved in the GAR and eventually became the Post Commander of Post #157 (Col. James C. Hull) of Pittsburgh, PA.  He lived until November 12, 1926 and is buried at Monongahela Cemetery in Washington County south of Pittsburgh, PA.

Thaddeus Little - Little was born on April 24, 1844 in Bristol, Maine.  At the age of 18 he enlisted in Company "K" of the 1st Maine Cavalry as a Private.  He served with the regiment through all their campaigns and received a promotion dating from June 9, 1863 to the rank of 1st Sergeant for bravery at the battle of Brandy Station.  Little then joined General George Meade's staff and was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant on July 1, 1864.  In early 1865 he returned to the ranks of the 1st Maine Cavalry and was promoted to the rank of 1st Lieutenant and Regimental Adjutant on March 25, 1865.  On April 6, 1865, only days from the end, Little was severely wounded in the right shoulder at the battle of Sailor's Creek.  He was discharged because of his wounds on August 1, 1865 and returned to Maine.  After the war he was married twice and had three children.  He died on November 15, 1922 and is buried at the Togus National Cemetery in Kennebec County, Maine.

Solomon D. Hagenback - Enlisted from Northumberland County into Company H of the 53rd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry on October 23, 1861 for a three year term.  He was eventually promoted to Sergeant, serving with the regiment through all their battles.  His name is on the Pennsylvania Monument at Gettysburg, Company H being one of the seven companies with the regiment that fought on July 2 at Gettysburg through the Wheatfield to the top of Rose Hill, before finally having to retreat towards Cemetery Ridge.  Hagenback continued to serve as Sergeant and on June 16, 1864 he was killed during the initial assaults against Petersburg.  He is one of 394 men from the 53rd PA to die from battle wounds or disease during the war.  He is buried at Saint John's Cemetery in Watsontown, Northumberland County, PA (Thank you Todd Leiss).  

Charles Miner Sitgreaves Jr. - He was born in 1844 as the son of Phillipsburg, New Jersey Mayor Charles Sitgreaves Sr.  His father was also a former commandant of the New Jersey State Militia and would eventually become a Senator in 1865.  His 18 year old son enlisted in May of 1861 as a Sergeant with Company D of the 1st New Jersey Volunteer Infantry for 3-months service.  The regiment was then re-mustered for three years service and young Sitgreaves was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant in Company D on June 7 and 1st Lieutenant on August 19.  The regiment, as part of the First New Jersey Brigade, participated in the battles of Gaines' Mill and Glendale with the Army of the Potomac.  On August 6, 1862 Sitgreaves was promoted to Captain of Company D.  He served in this capacity through the battles of Second Bull Run, Crampton's Gap (South Mountain), Salem Church, Gettysburg, Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor, Third Winchester, Cedar Creek and at Petersburg.  The regiment lost 153 officers and men killed or mortally wounded.  After the war, Charles Sitgreaves lived in the Easton, Pennsylvania area and he died in 1899 at the age of 55 years.    

John McKnight Bloss - Bloss was born on June 21, 1839 in Washington County, Indiana and he spent the antebellum years as a school teacher in rural Indiana.  At the outbreak of the Civil War he enlisted in Company F, 27th Indiana Volunteer Infantry on September 12, 1861 as a Sergeant.  The regiment was sent to the Shenandoah Valley and in their first major battle at Winchester, Bloss was wounded.  After his recovery he was promoted to 1st Sergeant in July of 1862.  At the battle of Cedar Mountain on August 9, 1862 two companies were detached from the regiment to skirmish and Bloss was placed in command.  "While we were waiting in rear of the Brown farmhouse there came an order for two companies from the Twenty-seventh to act as flankers on the right. Companies C and F were detailed for this duty. With part of Company C as skirmishers, they moved half a mile or so to the right and front. There they were ported upon a hill, commanding a wide stretch of country, with skirmishers well out on front and Hanks. This was done under the personal direction of Colonel Colgrove, who then returned to the regiment, leaving Lieutenant Bloss, of Company F. in command.  These two companies were not recalled when the regiment was ordered into battle: so they were not engaged.  Neither were they notified when our army abandoned its position that night. When it was ascertained late in the night, by the companies themselves, that they were far inside of the enemy's line. Lieutenant Bloss, ably counseled and assisted by Lieutenant Lee. of Company C, led the companies by a circuitous route, following wood roads and cutting across fields, safely back to the regiment. It was by this wise and timely action only that the men of the two companies were saved from a term in rebel prisons."

As General Lee shifted northwards for the Maryland Campaign, the Army of the Potomac pursued.  The 27th arrived near Frederick, MD at about Noon on September 13.  As Company F set up camp, Corporal Barton Mitchell and Sergeant Bloss found a piece of stationary wrapped around three cigars.  What they had discovered was Lee's lost order Number 191.  Most sources list Mitchell as actually making the discovery and Bloss as the man who moved it up the chain of command.  Needless to say, McClellan and his army could now bring Lee to battle because of Mitchell and Bloss' discovery.  At Antietam the 27th Indiana was engaged and fought on the morning of the 17th in the bloody Cornfield losing at least 209 men.  Acting as the company's First Lieutenant, Bloss was again wounded, this time in both legs.  Eventually he would recover, just in time to serve in the Chancellorsville Campaign.  He also received his official promotion to 1st Lieutenant, dating to September 17, 1862.

As the regiment moved with Hooker's Army, Bloss played a large roll in getting his comrades across the Rapidan River.  "
A temporary bridge was soon placed upon the stone piers of the former one, and, by four o'clock next morning, both corps were across the Rapidan.* We did not start very early this morning, the 30th of April, but by 1:00 P. M. we were near Chancellorsville. This distance is thirteen miles. Arriving there, our brigade diverged from the plank road, near where the Jackson monument now stands, and, going four or five hundred yards obliquely to the right, halted upon the exact ground over which we fought three days later. There we stacked arms and remained almost entirely inactive for forty-eight hours.

*This bridge was built upon the plans and under the supervision of Captain Bloss, of the Twenty-seventh, who at this time was in command of the "pioneers," a detail whose duty it was to keep in advance of the main column and " prepare the way" for it."  Bloss was again slightly wounded at Chancellorsville, this time in the right leg, but it only hampered him for a few weeks.

At Gettysburg the 27th Indiana participated in the suicidal charge on July 3 across Spangler Meadow with the 2nd Massachusetts near Culps Hill.  The regiment lost more than 100 men, or 30% of the total number brought to the battlefield.  After Gettysburg the entire 12th Corps was transferred to the western theater with the Army of the Ohio and Cumberland.  In April of 1864 Bloss was promoted to Captain of Company F.  As part of General Sherman's Army, the 27th participated in the push on Atlanta.  At Resaca, Georgia Captain Bloss was again wounded, this time in the left arm.  His recovery would take him through August of 1864 and he had already decided not to re-enlist.  On October 13, 1864 he mustered out of Federal Service at the rank of Captain after having been wounded 4 times and after having made one of the most famous discoveries of the war in Lost Order 191.  He served not only competently, but bravely and held the respect of both his commanders and men.

After the war he served as a teacher, principal and eventually superintendent back in Indiana.  He then became the State Superintendent for Public Instruction for Indiana.  In 1892 he became the President of the Oregon Agricultural College which eventually became Oregon State University.  Married with two children, Bloss lived out his life as an educator, a professor in his later years.  He died on May 26, 1905 and is buried at Beech Grove Cemetery in Muncie, Indiana.  His memorial reads..."27th IND. VOL. FINDER OF LEE'S LOST ORDER NO. 191 AT FREDERICK MD. 1862."

Theodore Roth, MD - Clearly wearing his Civil War uniform and with a medical staff pattern.  Unfortunately little is known about his war service, but he lived from 1834 to 1876 and spent most of his life in Philadelphia.

Charles Jacob Scholl - From Landisburg, Perry County, Pennsylvania, Scholl enlisted at the age of 32 with Company I of the 17th Pennsylvania Cavalry on September 10, 1862 for three years.  With his unit he would run the gauntlet of some of the war's most deadly battlefields.  Initially attached to the 11th Army Corps, in February of 1863 Charles and his unit joined Colonel Thomas Devin's 2nd Brigade of General John Buford's 1st Division in the Cavalry Corps.  After serving in the Chancellorsville Campaign, Scholl and his comrades were participants of Buford's famous defensive fight on the first day at Gettysburg.  The list of battles and raids only got longer and longer as Scholl's time in the service went by.  He was at Kelly's Ford, Mine Run, Todd's Tavern, Yellowtavern, Haw's Shop, Trevillian Station, Winchester, Fisher's Hill, Waynesboro and Appomattox.  He finally mustered out of service in June of 1865.  The 34 year old had seen a lot and somehow, seemingly escaped without any serious wounds.  He returned to Perry County Pennsylvania where he married his sweetheart and lived until 1897.  He rests eternally at the Saint Peters United Church of Christ Cemetery in Bridgeport, Perry County, PA.

Unknown officer - Photo taken in Philadelphia, PA
Captain Samuel H. Bennison - Company H, 56th PA - From Jacksonville, Centre County, Pennsylvania, Bennison enlisted at the age of 18 on February 12, 1862 in Company H of the 56th Pennsylvania Volunteers.  After training in Harrisburg, the regiment moved south and was engaged in its first battle at Second Bull Run.  Most of the color company was captured and afterwards, Company H was designated as the color company, a great honor to Bennison and his company comrades.  The regiment was then again in the fight at South Mountain and Antietam.  Bennison was promoted to Corporal on November 10, 1862.  The 56th PA was at Fredericksburg but suffered no casualties and was again engaged at Chancellorsville with slight casualties.  On July 1 at Gettysburg the regiment is credited with firing the first infantry volley of the battle.  By the time the fight had ended the unit suffered more than 150 casualties.  Bennison survived unscathed.  The regiment served through the Overland Campaign in 1864, Bennison being promoted to 1st Sergeant on May 10, 1864.  Promotions then came quick.  By the time the regiment had reached Petersburg, Bennison became a commissioned officer at the rank of 2nd Lieutenant on June 16, 1864.  He reached the rank of 1st Lieutenant by October 16, 1864 and served with the regiment, fighting the entire time.  The unit participated through numerous engagements during the siege at Petersburg and was with the army through the surrender at Appomattox.  Just before being mustered out, Bennison was promoted to Captain on June 4, 1865.  He went home with the rest of his men on July 1 and returned home to Jacksonville where he married and raised a family.  Eventually he became the president of the local bank and he lived until 1910 and is buried at Lick Run Presbyterian Church in Jacksonville, Centre County, PA.  He is also my ancestor!   

Captain John W. Smith, 18th Pennsylvania Cavalry - Based on the inscription on the back of this card he is believed to be Captain (1st Lieutenant in this photo) John W. Smith of Company B, 18th Pennsylvania Cavalry.  Smith was from Meadville, Pennsylvania and graduated from Allegheny College in Pittsburgh in 1860.  When the war broke out he was instrumental in raising Company B from Meadville, which eventually joined the 18th Pennsylvania Cavalry in October of 1862.  Smith was commissioned Second Lieutenant and steadily rose in rank.  The regiment's first experience in the war was dealing with Mosby's Rangers around Fairfax Court House.  In June of 1863 they were brigaded with the 5th New York and 1st Vermont and started north eventually receiving a new commander named Elon Farnsworth.  The regiment was mauled on June 30, 1863 at Hanover, just before Gettysburg and they lost heavily.  On July 3 they were involved in Kilpatrick's disastrous attack on the Confederate right near the Round Tops at Gettysburg where their commander, Farnsworth, was killed.  They fought at Montery Pass and Hagerstown before the Confederates escaped across the Potomac.  The rest of the year was spent skirmishing.  In February of 1864, Smith was detailed as the regimental Adjutant and eventually promoted to First Lieutenant.  The unit participated in Kilpatrick's unsuccessful raid on Richmond.  They fought through the Overland Campaign and the initial attacks on Petersburg before being transferred to the Shenandoah Valley, participating in the battles of Third Winchester, Fisher's Hill and Cedar Creek.  Smith was again promoted, this time to Captain of the company and he served out the war in this capacity.  Through the end of the war the regiment served on guard and picket duty.  

Unknown officer, believed to be a member of the 51st Pennsylvania.  Unit identification comes from the number on his kepi (51) and the fact that this CDV came from an album with all Pennsylvania soldiers from the Philadelphia area.  That said, if you recognize this gentleman, please send a message.  The 51st Pennsylvania is most well known for its assault across 'Burnside's Bridge' at Antietam.  It also saw service in many other hard fought battles throughout the war as part of the 9th Army Corps.

Private Charles W. Scott of Company D, 57th Pennsylvania.  Scott was mustered into Federal service as a substitute in August of 1864.  Furnished to take the place of another, Scott served with the 57th through the Petersburg Campaign as part of the Second Army Corps.  They were engaged almost daily.  Finally in June of 1865, Scott was mustered out of service with the rest of the remaining regiment.  This photo was taken in October of 1866, more than a year after his muster out.

Captain Bernard D. Searles, Company D 94th New York Infantry.  He enlisted in 1861 at age 46 from Ellisburgh, NY and was commissioned 1st Lieutenant in Company D, 94th New York.  Eventually he was commissioned Captain, but before that he served with the regiment through the battles of Second Bull Run (where the regiment lost 147 men), South Mountain and Antietam.  His commission dating back to the Maryland Campaign, Captain Searles would be in the midst of one more major battle in the east.  He led Company D against entrenched Confederates near Prospect Hill at Fredericksburg on December 13, 1862.  There attack crested near Bernard's Cabins interestingly enough.  By the time the fighting had ceased, the 94th counted 58 fewer men in the ranks, and, Searles commanded the regiment.  

After the fighting at Fredericksburg, the 94th New York and the 105th New York had lost so many men that a consolidation of the two units was ordered.  Half of the officers in both regiments would be discharged.  Although there are no details (yet) on this, being age 48 and definitely one of the older officers in either regiment, Searles was targeted as one of those who would be going home.  In March of 1863 he was mustered out of Federal service and returned to Jefferson County, New York.  He lived until 1888 and is buried at Woodside Cemetery in Belleville, New York.

This image was given to one of the men in his command as a gift, Private L. James Plummer, who served from March of 1862 until December of 1863 in the 94th New York.

Captain James Henry Leeman, 6th Ohio Cavalry.  James Leeman enlisted at the age of 27 with Company C, 6th Ohio Cavalry as a 1st Lieutenant on October 7, 1861.  The regiment saw service with the Army of the Potomac and was engaged at Cross Keys, Second Bull Run, Chantilly, Fredericksburg, Kelly's Ford, Stoneman's Raid, Aldie, Middleburg, Upperville, Gettysburg, Hagerstown, Boonsboro, Falling Waters, Rapidan Station, Bristoe Station, Mine Run, Todd's Tavern, Yellow Tavern, Haw's Shop, Cold Harbor, Trevilian Station, and the numerous battles fought around Petersburg.  Promoted to Captain on August 3, 1863, Leeman mustered out of service on October 6, 1864 after the completion of his 3-year term of service.  One can only imagine the remarkable history that Captain Leeman experienced and was a part of.  Little information is known about Leeman's life except that he died in 1905 in Leavenworth, Kansas and is buried in the Leavenworth National Cemetery.  

2nd Lieutenant Orrin Taber, 1st New Hampshire Light Artillery - At age 21, Orrin enlisted on August 19, 1861 at Manchester, New Hampshire as a Quarter Master Sergeant in Battery A, 1st New Hampshire Light Artillery.  He held this position through April 16, 1863, when he was promoted to a full 1st Sergeant.  He served with the unit through all their major battles including Second Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg (Edgell's Battery on Cemetery Hill), Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor and the many battles around Petersburg until October of 1864 when he resigned.  He had been promoted to 2nd Lieutenant on February 13, 1864.  He survived the war and afterwards lived in Nashua, New Hampshire before moving to Santa Clara County, California where he lived out his life as a farmer.    

Captain William Gustavus Edgerton, 11th US Infantry.  Edgerton was from Pawlet in Rutland County, Vermont.  At the outbreak of the war he was 30 years old and he enlisted with the 1st Vermont Infantry at Brattleboro.  He served as a 1st Sergeant at the battle of Big Bethel and for three months service with the unit.  In August of '61 he was commissioned Captain in the 11th US Infantry.  He missed many of the unit's major fights while serving as a Federal Mustering Officer.  Two of the units he mustered into Federal Service were the 124th New York Infantry (Orange Blossoms) and the 134th New York.  He was also married in September of 1862.  He may have served at Chancellorsville, but he was definitely with the unit as they marched north towards the fighting at Gettysburg.  Captain Edgerton was in the thick of it as the 11th fought for control of the bloody Wheatfield.  The regiment's commander, Major De Lancey Floyd-Jones, wrote the following in his Official Report.
"We advanced in good order, although exposed to a flank fire from the enemy, and halted immediately in front of a piece of woods, where we lay some half hour or more.  Our brigade then relieved some troops of the Second Corps, for which purpose we advanced into the woods, at the same time changing our direction by a wheel to the left.

After firing a few rounds in the woods, it was discovered that the enemy was turning our right flank, and we were ordered to fall back, which was done in good order until we reached half way across the open field, when we became exposed to a cross-fire of the enemy, the effect of which was most deadly upon officers and men.

Our loss up to this time had been comparatively slight, but in a few minutes we lost nearly half of the regiment, and that, too, without inflicting the slightest damage upon the enemy.  We finally reached the wood, when we were enabled to reform and face the enemy."  

It was at some moment during that deadly period of time that Captain Edgerton was struck by a spent minie ball, as the Major wrote in his report.  Whatever damage it did was not enough to keep him from the ranks though.  At Gettysburg the 11th US Infantry lost 116 of its 286 men.  

For Captain Edgerton, the war was not even close to over.  He served through the rest of the conflict and commanded the regiment from August through October of 1864.  He was brevetted Major for his services on April 2, 1865 during the break-through at Petersburg.  Even after the surrender had taken place the following month, Edgerton remained in the service as a member of the 11th, and later, 29th US Infantry until 1867.  Once the guns had finally fallen silent, Captain Edgerton returned to Vermont where he lived with his wife and two children until his death in 1886.

1st Lieutenant Alexander Beach Jr., 11th New Jersey Infantry - Alex Beach enlisted on May 30, 1861 with Company K of the 2nd New Jersey Infantry.  He was discharged for promotion on August 16, 1862 after receiving a commission as 2nd Lieutenant of Company B in the newly formed 11th New Jersey.  The regiment saw minor action at Fredericksburg and in March of 1863, Beach was promoted to 1st Lieutenant of Company C.    As a part of Sickles' Third Corps, the regiment was severely engaged at Chancellorsville.  They lost 20 men killed and 113 men wounded.  Of the latter was Lieutenant Beach.  "The next day the rebel sharpshooters kept up an annoying fire, and several men of the Eleventh were wounded, among them Lieutenant Beach. When Beach was struck, one of Berdan's Sharpshooters asked " if that fellow hit any one." When told that Beach was struck, he replied : " I have my eye on the "Son-of- ." The next instant there was a report, and the " reb " came tumbling out of a tree. During the 4th and 5th, besides Lieutenant Beach, twenty-three men were wounded. Had the regiment remained in position at the edge of the wood during the entire artillery fire it would have been almost annihilated."  

Beach later wrote of his experience after being wounded.  "I was wounded early in the morning of the last day of the fight, and was put in an ambulance with a wounded Confederate belonging to an Alabama regiment. We were driven to the steamer at Aquia Creek to be transported to Washington. The Confederate was laid on a cot next to mine on the upper deck.  Before we left the dock, President Lincoln telegraphed he was coming down to look after the wounded, and the vessel was detained until he arrived. As he came on our deck, grasping the hand and speaking a word of comfort to every one, the Alabamian asked me who it was coming. I told him it was President Lincoln. He then asked me if the President would speak to him. I replied I thought so. When the President came to his cot, he took his hand and asked about his comfort and if his wound had been dressed, and showed as much interest in his welfare as he did in any of our own soldiers. When he left, the Confederate was in tears and was completely overcome by the kindly interest of the man against whose authority he was fighting. He said he hoped to live to return to his home and tell his people how the great heart of Abraham Lincoln had gone out toward him a "rebel."

On July 3, 1863, Beach was commissioned Captain of Company I, but he never mustered as such.  This is because he was promoted to one of the regiment's honorary posts.  On August 26, 1863, he officially became the 11th New Jersey's Adjutant as a member of the unit's Field and Staff.  He served in this post through the remainder of the war and through the rest of the unit's major actions.  On June 6, 1865, he was mustered out of Federal service.  After the war he lived in Newark, New Jersey and died on April 9, 1902.

Unknown Union officer, possibly 11th PA Cavalry.  Photo taken in Hanover, PA  at S.G. Sheaffer's Studio.

2nd Lieutenant John D. Hill, 107th New York Infantry.  Born in 1843, Hill enlisted in Company F of the 107th New York Infantry in August 1862 as a Sergeant at the age of nineteen.  He was with the regiment at Antietam, Fredericksburg, and through Burnside's Mud March.  Just before Chancellorsville he was promoted to First Sergeant.  The unit suffered heavy losses at Chancellorsville, but Sergeant Hill continued to prove his skills in leadership on the battlefield.  In June of 1863 he was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant of Company F, just in time for Gettysburg.  The unit supported a battery near the Baltimore Pike during much of the fighting for Culps Hill.  Hill wrote on July 5th, "There is no doubt but what we have whipped them in every sense of the word...The 4th of July dawned upon us and we expected a fight with the cavalry, but after scouring around the country a while we came back to our first position and passed the remainder of the day very quietly, not caring for any particular celebration and we were willing to dispence with fireworks in the evening, as we have had plenty such as it is during the last three days...Our loss at Chancellorsville about 80 killed wounded and missing, so you see we were very fortunate this time.  It will doubtless prove to be as great a battle as has ever been fought durin gthe war, and it seems as if we ought to whip them bad enough this time to make this the last one..."  Lieutenant Hill and the 107th New York moved south with the rest of the Twelfth Corps to join General Sherman's army and the move on Atlanta, Georgia.  By May of 1864 the campaign was well under way on on the 25th of that month, the 107th met Confederates at New Hope Church.  The regiment was decimated and Lieutenant Hill was shot in the head and killed instantly, only twenty-one years old.  His men could not immediately remove him from the field and when they finally found him, he had been stripped of all his garments and belongings.  Finally on May 27, 1864, the young lieutenant was laid to rest.  Captain Arthur Fitch of the 107th Remembered this of Lieutenant Hill when giving a dedicatory speech about his unit's action at New Hope Church..."The same tidal wave of death swept away his (Captain John Knox) second lieutenant, John Hill, quiet, modest, young, beloved of all. How well I remember his coming with a picket relief that first night at Gettysburg, and finding me overcome with fatigue and sound asleep (a dreadful dereliction of duty at such time), quietly awakened me and sent me with my picket guard to camp, without chiding or report to his superiors. I loved him from that hour."  Eventually he was re-interred to Marietta National Cemetery. 

Captain George Gibson Huntt, 4th United States Cavalry.  Huntt was born September 1, 1835 in Washington D.C.  There is little information on his upbringing, but he was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant in the 4th United States Cavalry on March 27, 1861 at age 25.  The 4th US was a unit of prestige...talk about being surrounded by some names with clout.  The Colonels roster included Edwin Sumner, Robert E. Lee and John Sedgwick.  Some other famous names he served with before the outbreak of the war were George Stoneman, Samuel Sturgis and William J. Hardee.  Huntt was later promoted to 1st Lieutenant on May 2, 1861 and he served as the regiment's adjutant.  From '61 to '63 the 4th US was divided all over the Civil War map, a couple companies serving as McClellan's headquarters guard, and the others divided in the western theater.  I have thus far been unable to ascertain the whereabouts of Huntt's service during this time.  Huntt was promoted to Captain on July 17, 1862 and the regiment reunited finally in December of 1864.  During this time the unit saw action at  Forts Henry and Donelson, Shiloh, Shelbyville, Nashville, and most notably, Selma.  On April 2, 1865 at Selma the 4th US Cavalry participated in Wilson's charge where they took on Nathan Bedford Forrest and routed Confederate troops entrenched on the outskirts of the city.  After the war, Huntt remained in the service and eventually rose to the rank of Colonel in the 2nd US Cavalry, which he held for seven years before retiring in 1898.  During his post-war service he was involved in the Indian wars in Texas and is responsible for founding Fort Concho, Texas.  After retiring from the service, Huntt lived until 1914, dying in Carlisle, Pennsylvania at the age of 79 years old.  He is buried in Harrisburg City Cemetery.     

Private Alexander G. Eakman enlisted in Company B, 11th PA Reserves (40th PA) on June 10, 1861.  At 5 feet, 6 inches with a fair complexion, grey eyes, and dark hair, he was a sixteen years old laborer and served with the regiment through the balance of the war.  At Gettysburg on July 2, 1863 he was with the unit as they charged down from the northern slope of Little Round Top into the Plum Run Valley and he was wounded in the famous charge of the reserves led by General Crawford.  He recovered in time to participate in the Overland Campaign and was discharged with the rest of his unit on June 13, 1864 at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  This young man had done his share of the sacrificing.     

Unknown Corporal believed to be from the 1st Corps.  Backmark is West Greenville (now Greenville), PA which is in Mercer County.  He may possibly be from the 142nd Pennsylvania Infantry.
Private Joseph S. Morris, Company F, 58th Pennsylvania Infantry
Captain (Brevet Major) James Pride Boggs of Company D, 11th Pennsylvania Reserves (40th PA)
Boggs was from Evans City in Butler County, Pennsylvania and enlisted with the 11th Reserves on July 5, 1861 as a Corporal at the age of twenty-one.  He was captured in June of 1862 along with much of his regiment during the fighting at Gaines Mill.  Spending time at Belle Isle prison camp in Richmond, he was finally paroled and rejoined his unit to fight at Second Bull Run in August, where he was severely wounded in the left temple.  It took him time to recover from this wound, but he was back in time for the march north towards Gettysburg where he led company D as a newly commissioned 1st Lieutenant (his rank in the photo above).  The regiment lost 41 men at Gettysburg in the famous charge across Plum Run led by General Crawford at the end of the fighting on July 2, 1863 in the 'Valley of Death.'  Lieutenant Boggs and the 11th Reserves then served in the Mine Run Campaign, but were not heavily engaged.  It was not until May of '64, when Grant began his famous Overland Campaign, that the 11th Reserves were again heavily engaged.  At the Wilderness Boggs received a severe bullet wound in the right thigh.  It was only another month until he was discharged in June of 1864.  He survived his second wounding and was brevetted to the rank of Major for his gallant service and bravery.  After the war he returned to western Pennsylvania where he became involved in the oil industry.  He and his wife had nine children and lived a long and fruitful life.  He died at the age of 91 in 1930 and was buried at his home town of Evans City, PA.  One more brave hero had reported for the final roll call.     

Corporal John Dumble of Company E, 3rd New Jersey Infantry...This young man saw it all. The brigade to which his regiment belonged was part of the famous '1st New Jersey Brigade' originally commanded by New Jersey's most famous general, Philip Kearney. Dumble was one of the first respondents when the war broke out, enlisting the month after the firing on Fort Sumter. He was at all the major battles of the war including Gaines' Mill (Peninsula Campaign) where his regiment lost over 200 men, South Mountain, Salem Church (Chancellorsville), Gettysburg and finally The Wilderness in May of 1864, where he was severely wounded in the left shoulder. He had enough patriotic fervor to re-enlist three months before he was wounded and was attached to Company A of the 15th New Jersey after being wounded. Corporal Dumble struggled to recover from his ghastly wound though and was discharged early in 1865. He had served and given his country all he could offer, quietly and humbly, changed forever, as was his country.
Unknown 3rd Corps soldier...The pin on his coat says "Hooker's Old Division...3rd Corps"

Unknown Union officer...the backmark is from Philadelphia and the CDV came from a collection of images from the 24th Michigan Infantry.  He certainly has a stirring and fiery stare.  

Unknown Union officer...CDV made in Philadelphia of a very young looking soldier.

This is Captain William W. Dungan of the 49th United States Colored Infantry (11th Louisiana Infantry). Before joining up with the 49th, he was a Sergeant in the 5th Iowa Infantry and served in some of the western theater's most deadly conflicts; Iuka (where he was wounded in the face), Corinth, Jackson, Champion Hill and Vicksburg. After going through all those battles he was offered a commission as a Captain in a black regiment (and yes this story is very similar to what happened in the movie "Glory"). In May of 1863 the Confederate Government issued the Retaliatory Act which promised for any white officer captured commanding black troops, that they would be put to death. Still, Dungan accepted the commission and commanded Company E of the 49th US Colored Infantry. He and his men fought at Milliken's Bend, Louisiana and in numerous other minor engagements. The war ended in April of 1865, but he remained at his post until finally being discharged in March of 1866. The photo you see below was taken in Vicksburg, MS, after its capture by General US Grant and lesser known Captain William Dungan (along with thousands of others) in mid 1863. He might not look it, but he was only twenty-seven years old when this photo was taken and I believe it's fair to say that the things he experienced by this point in the war probably had taken their toll.

Colonel Amor Archer McKnight...He raised the 105th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry in Brookville, PA and led the regiment through the Peninsula Campaign where he fell ill, resigning his commission for a short period.  He was back in command for the beginning of 1863 and was killed leading the regiment in action at Chancellorsville on May 3, 1863.  Colonel Craig, in a letter written to us under date of May 11, says: "Colonel McKnight was in the act of cheering the men on when he was shot, and was swinging his sword. The ball passed through his right arm, almost tearing it off, and passed on, entering his head about the left temple. I saw him fall, and riding up to him, dismounted, and kneeled beside him. He looked up once, so beseechingly, before he died, as if he wanted to say something, but could not speak. I ordered four of the men to carry him to the rear, and rode after the regiment ; but they were unable to get him back, on account of the heavy fire, and had to leave him on the field. Everything of value was got off his person, except his pocket-book, which could not be found. After the fight I made application to General Hooker for permission to take out a flag of truce for his remains, which he granted ; but General Lee would not permit us to enter his lines, so we had to be content.  No man ever acted braver than he did, and, believe me, there are few such men either in the army or at home." The rebel papers claimed that he was buried with the honors due his rank, and out of respect for the "Kearney badge" which he wore, and the correspondent of the Philadelphia Inquirer wrote as follows : "We have it from reliable authority, that whenever our men are discovered by the enemy, and. are found to have upon them the Kearney red patch, if wounded, they are kindly cared for; and if dead, are buried with the honors of war, their graves so marked as to be readily recognized. "Colonel McKnight, of the One Hundred and Fifth Pennsylvania, was so buried, his body followed to the grave with a guard of honor, many officers being present. A band played a funeral dirge, while over his remains was fired the usual salute due to an officer of his rank."  He was 30 years old.

Captain Jacob Houder...88th Pennsylvania - He led Company H through all the major battles in which the regiment fought, including Gettysburg.  On August 19, 1864 at Weldon Railroad in Virginia, he commanded the 88th PA  and was killed while gallantly leading them in a bayonet charge.  He was only 21 years old. 

Lieutenant Colonel Ezekiel Silas Sampson...Enlisted as Captain of Company F in the 5th Iowa Infantry and was promoted to Lt. Colonel.  Fought at Iuka, MS where the regiment lost 50% casualties. He led the regiment at Champion Hill, MS where the 5th Iowa played a large role in continued assaults against Cockrell and Cummings Brigades down the Jackson Road.  The 5th Iowa was part of Boomer's Brigade, Crocker's Division and lost 19 men killed, 75 wounded. He also led the regiment through the Siege of Vicksburg and Missionary Ridge at Chattanooga (2 killed, 22 wounded and 82 missing).

1 comment:

There was an error in this gadget

Search This Blog

Follow by Email